Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My first post, huzzah ten pounds for the king!

I've created this blog in order to indulge in my secret dark confession. I am a girl nerd. While other girls are out drinking on friday nights I'm either reading Neil Gaiman or watching my Buffy dvds. When I go shopping not only do I buy cute clothes I also buy graphic novels and dvd box sets. Needless to say I find living in the real world a little bit dull and also very difficult to deal with.

In many ways I'm pre-lesbian wiccan witch Willow, still into guys, still into writing obscure fanfic.
In fact today I would love to talk about girl-nerd Willow and how she lost her way. Whatever happened to the girl-nerd Willow who found academic achievements exciting was able to examine corpses and had a stoic werewolf for a boyfriend? It was awesome when she began working her magical mojo until suddenly magical mojo was all she ever was.
Rewatching season six of Buffy I couldn't help but feel dissapointed, in many ways Willow's computer hacking book reading abilities which made her who she was were taken away and replaced with the magic.
Yeah I get it, its a metaphor for drug addiction but really? honestly? I just think Joss got sick of writing a nerdy girl.
We can see in Willow's dreams that her number one fear is returning to the girl who did her book report on The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe.
This is a shame because as a Highschool English teacher I really wish there were more girls choosing diverse literature for their essays instead of Twilight.
When Willow overcomes her addiction does the nerd Willow come back? no not really. Season eight showed little to no evidence of her love for reading and the internet ( she used the internet once to look up a dead girls blog before commenting it was a teenage phase) and instead still stuck with her magical self.
The comics show goddess Willow flying around with the greatest of ease in various stages of medieval dress.
Once again though I have to think to myself this isn't the Willow I identified with as a kid. After all the episode "Helpless" clearly illustrated that a persons identity isn't carved based on their super powers however in the comic virtual series eight we see Willow identifying with some one else. Of course I could be wrong because I have still to buy half the series and I hear Oz is coming back.
Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment