Sunday, May 31, 2009

How to Talk to Girls at Parties or Neil Gaiman's secret gay agenda

Feeling a little unwell I left behind a lesson plan at work for my students concerning my all time favorite Neil Gaiman tale " How to Talk to Girls at Parties" it's about a shy teenage boy whose clueless to the fact his talking to alien girls at a party. Theres nothing more harmful in this story then some KISSING. My students however complained to my supervisor saying the story made them uncomfortable because it was about...a gay teenager.
First of all no the teenager was not gay, just shy.
Secondly I was shocked by their ignorance that they associate "shyness" with being homosexual and that apparently being gay is a bad thing.
One of the things I've noticed in this society which my students made obvious is that unless you're sexually aggressive their must be something wrong with you and you must be ZOMG GAY. I remember despite my deep and unrequited love for Spike from Buffy I was accused several times of being a lesbian by my fellow students because I had no interest in random sex with some guy who used the word " fucking" as a prime adjective. I didn't like boys my own age, like my descendents who have fallen for Edward Cullen I wanted an intellectuel bad ass with super powers ( Ive since grown out of that, now it's all about Neil Patrick Harris).
This didn't make me gay.
I found it interesting that my students were also horrified by the sheer CONCEPT of a gay character despite the fact at least once person they know during their life time will be gay. In my case every boyfriend or guy I've ever had a crush on ended up gay ( yep I sure know how to pick them) but the point is GET OVER IT.
PEOPLE ARE GAY.
IT'S THEIR CHOICE AND THEIR IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.
I'd rather be in a loving lesbian relationship like Willow and Tara ( if I was actually attracted to women) then an abusive relationship like Spike and Buffy.

1 comment:

  1. I have read your blog. I like the contents and would like to revisit.

    I hope you would like visiting my blog on traveling.

    EXPLORE THE EXOTIC LAND OF INDIA

    ReplyDelete